Toprol XL helps to ease the discomfort caused due to high blood pressure, angina pectoris or heart attack. It can be consumed with any other high blood pressure medicines. It reduces the impact and rate of heart contractions, to lessen the need for oxygen. This helps to lower the blood pressure.
- Follow the instructions of your doctor and never modify the dosage without informing your doctor.
- Stick to a fixed routine for consuming the medication daily.
- Toprol XL can be taken with food or immediately after your meals.
- In case you are unable to swallow the entire tablet, you can break it into two. But never chew or crush it as it will lead to a rush in the release of the drug, leading to side effects.
- Never discontinue the medication without consulting the doctor. Sudden withdrawal may worsen the ailment.
- Monitor your blood pressure regularly, and go for proper check-ups regularly.
- Patients planning a surgery need to inform their doctor if they are consuming Toprol XL.
- Toprol XL will work more effectively by making some lifestyle and dietary changes. Proper exercise, work, sleep, and diet routine will help to ease hypertension.
- Complete the entire course of medication, and continue even if you are feeling better.
- It is common for people not to detect symptoms of high blood pressure; hence doctors often recommend consuming medications forever.
Missed or Overdose
In case you miss a dose and realize it close to the time of your next dose, then you can resume your regular schedule. Never consume a double dose, or consume two doses within a short time gap, else it may trigger side effects. In case you notice any unusual symptoms, then you should seek immediate medical assistance.
Toprol XL should be stored at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F away from the reach of children and pets. Never keep it in places that are hot, moist or bright. Never store it in the bathroom.
- As the active ingredient in Toprol XL is Metoprolol succinate, patients who are allergic to it or any other beta blocker should stay away from it.
- Patients suffering from reduced heart rate or erratic heartbeat, low systolic BP, adrenal gland tumor, hyperthyroid, or blood circulation issues should not consume Toprol XL.
- Pregnant or lactating women need to speak to the doctor before starting a course of Toprol XL.
- Inform your doctor if you are consuming any herbal, non-herbal medicine or dietary supplement.
- Share your allergy list with your doctor.
- The dosage should be monitored in patients who have issues with liver and blood, are diabetic, or suffering from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease or asthma.
Like all medicines, Toprol XL to interacts with other medicines like digoxin, clonidine, ritonavir, terbinafine, diuretic, cold medicines, stimulant medicines, or diet pills. It also interacts with anti-malaria medications, anti-depressants, diabetes medicines, heart medicatiaons, and other forms of medications. Hence it is important to share your complete medical history and list of medicines with your doctor before you begin a course of Toprol XL.
Word of Warning
- As Toprol XL triggers drowsiness, dizzy spells or makes you feel lightheaded, you need to take proper care and never drive after consuming it.
- The impact may worsen if consumed with alcohol or any other medicine.
- In case you notice any unusual symptoms, you need to sit down and relax before you speak to your doctor.
- Initially patients experience fatigue or lack of energy. However, these symptoms pass as the body gets used to the medicine. In case it persists for more than a couple of weeks, you need to discuss the same with your doctor.
- Never discontinue the medicine suddenly, as the body may react. One must be weaned away gradually under medical supervision.
- Regularly monitor your blood pressure and heart rate.
- Never consume any medicines for cold or congestion without informing your doctor.
- Toprol XL may not show symptoms of low blood sugar levels; hence you need to keep track of it. If you experience anxiety, sweatiness, dizzy spells, abnormal fatigue, or blacking our sensation, you may be suffering from low sugar level. At times, patients experience hunger pangs, blurring of vision, pain in the head, chills and tremors or other similar symptoms. In such cases, you need to monitor the blood sugar levels carefully and based on it, seek medical assistance in modifying the dosage of diabetes medication.
- In case you are planning to undergo any dental treatment, inform the dentist that you are on a course of Toprol XL.
If you notice sudden skin allergies, erratic breathing, swelling or pain, lightheadedness, abnormal fatigue, headache, stomach ache, yellowing of the skin, abnormal bleeding, decoloring of skin, wheezing, hallucination, chilling sensation, constipation, vomiting, low libido, insomnia, or any other abnormal symptom, then inform the doctor immediately.