Prevacid stops acid from being produced in the stomach, hence it is beneficial in treating Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, ulcers, stomach bacteria, inflammation of the esophagus, and Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome. It is also used as a preventive medication for patients on non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Dosage and Directions
- Prevacid should be consumed orally with a glassful of water.
- Never crush, chew or bite this medicine.
- Prevacid should be taken without food an hour before meals.
- Follow the dosage instructions of the doctor.
- Patients who are unable to swallow the capsules, can open the capsule and take the contents on a tablespoon and sprinkle it on cottage cheese, curd, or strained pears.
- This mixture should be consumed immediately and not stored.
- Drink a glassful of water after consuming for better absorption into the system.
- Inform the doctor if you are suffering from any allergy.
- Pregnant and lactating ladies need to discuss the side effects with the doctor.
- Patients suffering from liver disorders should speak to the doctor before starting a course of Prevacid.
- The medicine will take a couple of days before showing effect.
Consuming an overdose may be fatal, and in case patients have accidentally taken an overdose, they need to visit a poison control center.
Never consume a double dose, in case you have missed the original dose. Follow up with the regular dose as per the schedule.
Prevacid interacts with many medicines including atazanavir, ampicillin, delavirdine, digoxin, iron salts, itraconazole, ketoconazole, voriconazole, and other medicines.
Hence it is important to discuss the complete health condition along with the list of medicines and dietary supplements being consumed before starting on a course of Prevacid.
Patients consuming Prevacid may complain of darkening of the urine, fever, abnormal rashes on the skin, nausea and vomiting and so on.
Prevacid should be kept at room temperature in places which are clean and dry. Never consume the medicine after expiry date. Ensure that it out of the reach of kids or pets.