Omnicef is an anti-toxin, used to get rid of infections caused by some microbes.
- Follow the instructions of your medical professional and stick to the medication schedule.
- Never discontinue the medication until the course is complete, as it may cause a relapse.
- Omnicef can be consumed with or without food. However, consuming it with food may lessen the chances of an upset stomach.
- Never consume magnesium or aluminum antacids, iron-rich medicines or food items, two hours before or after consuming Omnicef. But you can include Omnicef while having iron-fortified infant formula.
Missed or Overdose
In case you miss a dose and realize it close to the time of your next dose, then you can resume your regular schedule. Never consume a double dose, or consume two doses within a short time gap, else it may trigger side effects. In case you notice any abnormal symptoms, then you should seek immediate medical assistance.
Consuming Omnicef for extended periods may make the bacteria less sensitive, making treatments more challenging in case a second infection manifests.
Omnicef should be stored at 77 degrees F away from the reach of children and pets. For short durations, you can also store it at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F. Keep it away from hot, moist and bright places. Never keep it in the bathroom. Never consume the medicine after the expiry date.
Word of Caution
- As the active ingredient of Omnicef is Cefdinir, never consume it, if you are allergic to it.
- Abstain from consuming it if you have recently taken a live typhoid vaccine, or are planning to do so.
- Inform your doctor about your existing medication, and medical history,along with updates on any allergies you may be having.
- Discuss the dosage with your doctor in case you are pregnant or lactating.
- Omnicef triggers dizzy and drowsy spells, and this aggravates by consuming alcohol and other medication. Hence you need to ensure that you are not consuming anything which may interact with Omnicef or trigger a side effect.
- Avoid driving or indulging in risky activities after consuming the medication.
- Omnicef is not able to cure viral infections
- Side effects include stomach ache, cramps, acute diarrhea, or bloody stools.
- Never indulge in self mediation to treat these side effects.
- At times it may cause nausea, swelling of the face, skin reactions, breathlessness, dark urine, pain in the stomach, seizures, yellowness of the skin, abnormal bleeding or bruising, to name a few.
- Omnicef causes redness of stools as it is rich in iron.
- Omnicef modifies the outcome of urine ketone tests and hence you need to inform your doctor about the inaccurate readings.
- Omnicef also causes the results of some lab tests like Coomb tests to be inaccurate. Hence you need to inform your doctor if you are consuming Omnicef.
- Pregnant and lactating women need to speak to their doctors before consuming Omnicef.
- Check with the doctor, before giving this medicine to children.