Lotrel is an ACE inhibitor as well as a calcium channel blocker, which dilates the blood vessels, to reduce the blood pressure. This makes it an ideal combination of two BP medicines.
Dosage and Directions
- Lotrel should be consumed orally with or without food.
- It should be swallowed whole.
- Avoid consuming grapefruit or juice with Lotrel as it may trigger side effects.
- Never modify the dosage and duration of the medication without discussing it with your doctor.
Missed or Overdose
In case you miss a dose and realize it close to the time of your next dose, then you can resume your regular schedule. Never consume a double dose, or consume two doses within a short time gap, else it may trigger side effects. In case you notice any unusual symptoms, then you should seek immediate medical assistance.
Lotrel should be stored at 77 degrees F. However, you can also store it between 59 and 86 degrees F for a short while. Ensure that it is not kept in places that are too hot, moist or bright. Never keep it in the bathroom. Ensure that Lotrel is far from the reach of kids and pets.
Word of Warning
- As the active ingredient of Lotrel is Amlodipine besylate and Benazepril hydrochloride, patients allergic to these should stay away from this medicine.
- Patients who are taking injections of iron dextran should not consume Lotrel.
- Pregnant women should stay away from this medicine, especially after the first trimester.
- Lotrel is not suitable for children.
- It is important to inform your doctor about any medicine or dietary supplement that you are taking, as it may interact with Lotrel.
- Also, inform the doctor of any health issues you are facing or if you are allergic to certain medicines or substances.
- Patients also need to inform the doctor if they have undergone any heart surgery or are facing heart, kidney or liver disorders.
- Diabetic patients and patients suffering from SLE or Lupus also need to keep away from Lotrel.
Lotrel interacts with Dextran or sildenafil, Potassium-sparing diuretics, potassium supplements, Lithium, sulfonylureas, thiazide diuretics, thiopurines, vasopressin receptor antagonists, Insulin as well as oral diabetes medicine, and other medicines as well. It is important to tell your doctor about the complete list of medications that you are taking, before starting on a course of Lotrel.
- Lotrel usually causes dizzy spells and blackouts, which may worsen if consumed with alcohol or other drugs and medicines.
- Hence, one needs to avoid driving and undertaking tasks which require focus and concentration.
- Patients also complain of acute bouts of coughing after taking this medicine.
- Patients also complain of swelling of the limbs and acute dryness of the throat.
- At times, patients experience extreme fatigue during the initial stages. However, never discontinue the medicine, as it may shoot up the blood pressure.
- Lotrel may cause fetal death and hence if you get pregnant while on the medication, then you need to inform the doctor immediately.
- Lotrel is not suitable for nursing women, as it may harm the infant.
- Other reactions include skin allergies, fever, erratic heartbeats, and a lot more.
- In case you notice any abnormal symptoms, then do inform your doctor about the same.