Lipitor clears the LDL-C from the blood and limits the blood from forming new LDL-C. Hence it is beneficial in curing high cholesterol and reducing the incidence of stroke, heart attack, and other heart-related issues in patients. It also prevents the hardening arteries.
Dosage and Directions
- Lipitor should be consumed orally once a day with or without food.
- It should be swallowed whole with a glass of water.
- An adult usually requires 10 mg of the medicine every day, while children between the age of 10 and 17 need a lesser dosage.
- This medicine is not suitable for children below the age of 10 years.
- Always follow the instructions of your doctor before starting a course of Lipitor.
Word of Warning
- Diabetic patients and people suffering from hypothyroid issues, kidney and muscle disorders need to undergo certain tests before starting a course of Lipitor.
- Avoid consuming alcohol while on medication, as it may trigger side effects, and may harm the liver.
- Pregnant and lactating women should not consume this medicine.
- Patients suffering from liver issues should not consume Lipitor.
- Patients taking an HIV Protease Inhibitor should not consume Lipitor.
- Patients who are allergic to any of the components of the medicine should abstain from it. It is not suitable for pregnant and nursing women.
Common side effects of Lipitor include mild allergies, pain in the muscles, fatigue, fever, decolored stools, pain in the stomach or head, frequent urination, yellowness of the skin, nausea, diarrhea, rashes, and itching, runny nose, bloating, heartburn, and other symptoms. In case you notice any abnormality, then you need to inform your doctor of the same immediately.
Lipitor interacts with digoxin, erythromycin, gemfibrozil, niacin, antifungal medications, immune system weakening drugs, cancer medicines, steroids, HIV or AIDS medication, and others. Hence it is essential to discuss your complete medical history with your doctor before starting on a course of Lipitor.
In case you miss a dose and realize it close to the time of your next dose, then you can resume your regular schedule. Never consume a double dose, or consume two doses within a short time gap, else it may trigger side effects. In case you notice any unusual symptoms, then you should seek immediate medical assistance.
Consuming an overdose of Lipitor may cause a drop in the blood pressure and trigger rapid heartbeats. In case you notice these symptoms, then you need to seek immediate medical assistance.
Lipitor should be stored at room temperature between 59 and 77 degrees F away from places that are bright and moist. Keep it far from the reach of children and pets. Never use the medicine after the expiry date.
All the information provided is general in nature, and should not be used for self-medication or self-diagnosis. Follow the advice of your health care professional. All the information is true to the best of our knowledge, but we advise our customers to review and verify the same, before consuming the medication. Our website does not undertake the responsibility for any direct, indirect, special or other indirect damage caused due to the information provided or the effects of self-treatment.