Lexapro helps to cure depression and other forms of anxiety.
Dosage and Directions
- Lexapro should be consumed orally with a glassful of water.
- It can be taken with as well as without food. However, to reduce the chances of having an upset stomach, it is better to take it with food.
- Follow the instructions of your doctor and inform him of any allergy, or medical history you may have. Also, update the list of medicines (Herbal or non-herbal) that you are taking. As some drugs interact with Lexapro, avoid self-medication even for common ailments.
- Never share your medicines with others having similar symptoms, as it may trigger side effects.
- It will take around a week or two for the results to show, but never discontinue the medication mid-course.
- Watch out for a change of feelings or worsening of the suicidal thoughts. It is noted at the onset of the treatment, then inform your doctor of the same.
- Never discontinue the medicine suddenly as it may trigger fatal withdrawal symptoms. Instead, you need to be weaned away properly, with the advice of your doctor.
In case you feel that you have taken an overdose, you need to get in touch with a poison control center and seek immediate medical assistance.
In case you miss a dose and realize it close to the time of your next dose, then you can resume your regular schedule. Never consume a double dose, or consume two doses within a short time gap, else it may trigger side effects. In case you notice any unusual symptoms, then you should seek immediate medical assistance.
Lexapro interacts with some diet drugs, MAO Inhibitors, phenothiazines, St. John’s Wort, amphetamine or dextroamphetamine, drugs similar to aspirin, medicines to cure depression and other mental disorders, medicines used to avoid blood clotting, HIV medications and injections, migraine and TB medicines, and a lot of other drugs. Hence, it is important to share your complete medical history with your doctor, including the entire list of herbal as well as non-herbal medicines you are taking, as well as any dietary supplements that are part of your routine.
Word of Caution
Inform your doctor if you are suffering from a bipolar disorder, diabetes, heart, kidney or liver diseases, or if you have a history of seizures or are undergoing electroconvulsive therapy.
In case you are having suicidal tendencies or an unusual reaction to escitalopram, you need to inform your doctor of the same. Also speak to your doctor if you are pregnant or nursing a baby.
The drug may make you feel dizzy or sleepy; hence avoid driving or using machines which need complete concentration. Avoid sudden movement of the body, as it may lead to dizziness. Avoid alcohol while on a course of Lexapro. Avoid self-medication as it may cause drug interaction, which may be fatal.
Side effects may include skin allergies, swelling, breathing issues, blurring of vision, hallucination, seizures, suicidal tendencies, mood swings, abnormal bleeding or bruising, constipation, sweat, trembling, weight loss, and a lot more. In case you notice any abnormal symptom manifest itself, then you need to inform the doctor of the same.
Lexapro should be kept in temperatures between 15 and 30 degrees C. It should be kept in places which are beyond the reach of kids and pets. Never use the medicine after the expiry date. You must store it in an area which is dry and clean.