Glucotrol XL is a Sulfonylura drung, which helps to stimulate the secretion of insulin by the beta-cells in the pancreas. Hence, it is beneficial in treating type II diabetes. It is used in combination with glimepiride, glyburide, tolbutamide and tolazamide.
Dosage and Directions
- Initially patients are prescribed 5 mg of the immediate release tablets have an hour before meals. It increases upto 40 mg per day.
- In case of extended release tablets, the dosage is never more than 20 mg per day.
- The extended release tablets should never be cut, crushed or chewed as it may cause the drug to disperse very fast, causing side effects.
- Glucotrol XL should be swallowed whole with a glassful of water, 30 minutes prior to your meal.
- Never modify the dosage without consulting the doctor.
Word of Warning
- Consuming alcohol will cause a drop in the blood sugar levels.
- At times it may be fatal, leading to death due to cardiovascular disorders.
- Glucotrol XL is not suitable for patients who are allergic to any of its components.
- Patients suffering from insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus should stay away from this medicine.
- It is not suitable for patients suffering from acute kidney or liver disorders,
- Patients suffering from stenosis of the gastrointestinal tract should not consume Glucotrol XL.
- It is not suitable for infants and babies.
In rare cases, Glucotrol XL may cause death because of cardiovascular issues. However, this is not quite common. Other side effects include allergies, pain in the head, reduced sodium levels, dizzy spells, loose motions, gas, hepatitis, or jaundice.
Glucotrol XL interacts with alcohol by reducing its efficiency. Other drugs which alter the efficiency of Glucotrol XL are Aspirin and other salicylates,
nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, sulfa-based drugs, MAO- inhibitors, beta-blockers, thiazide diuretics, steroid medicines, estrogens, corticosteroids, thyroid medicines, phenothiazines, niacin, phenytoin, calcium channel blocking drugs, and Fluconazole.
Missed or Overdose
In case you miss a dose and realize it close to the time of your next dose, then you can resume your regular schedule. Never consume a double dose, or consume two doses within a short time gap, else it may trigger side effects. In case you notice any abnormal symptoms, then you should seek immediate medical assistance.
Consuming an overdose of Glucotrol XL may cause a drop in the blood sugar levels, causing hunger pangs, nausea, anxiety, cold sweats, weakness, sleepy spells, black outs, and coma. In case you notice any abnormal symptoms, then you should seek immediate medical assistance.
Glucotrol XL should be stored at room temperature between 68 and 77 F. It should never be kept in moist places like bathrooms. Never keep it exposed to heat and direct sunlight. Never keep it within the reach of kids or pets.
All the information provided is general in nature, and should not be used for self-medication or self-diagnosis. Follow the advice of your health care professional. All the information is true to the best of our knowledge, but we advise our customers to review and verify the same, before consuming the medication. Our website does not undertake the responsible for any direct, indirect, special or other indirect damage caused due to the information provided or the effects of self-treatment.