Cozaar is an Angiotensin II Receptor Blocker, popular by the acronym ARB. It helps to treat high blood pressure. It can be used in isolation or even in a combination with other drugs. At times, it is used to reduce the risk of strokes. In some patients, it is used to cure kidney issues caused by diabetes. It relaxes the blood vessels to reduce the blood pressure.
Dosage and Directions
- Cozaar can be consumed orally with or without food.
- It should be taken at the same time daily to get better results.
- Follow the complete instructions of the doctor regarding dosage and duration of medication.
Missed or Overdose
In case you miss a dose and realize it close to the time of your next dose, then you can resume your regular schedule. Never consume a double dose, or consume two doses within a short time gap, else it may trigger side effects. In case you notice any abnormal symptoms, then you should seek immediate medical assistance.
Cozaar should be stored at 77 degrees F. However, for short whiles, you can also keep it in temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F. Never keep in moist places like bathrooms. Ensure that it is not exposed to heat and bright lights. Ensure that it is beyond the reach of kids or pets.
Word of Warning
- As the active ingredient of Cozaar is Losartan potassium, patients allergic to it must abstain from this medicine.
- Pregnant women should not consume Cozaar after their first trimester.
- Cozaar is not suitable for children with acute kidney issues.
- Pregnant or lactating women should not consume Cozaar.
- As Cozaar interacts with many medicines, hence it is important to discuss your complete medical history, including any medicines or dietary supplements you are consuming with your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if you are suffering from any form of allergy.
- Patients suffering from angioedema, heart issues, kidney or liver disorders or diabetes should discuss their medical history in detail with the doctor before consuming Cozaar.
- Patients suffering from electrolyte issues or following a low sodium diet also need to inform the doctor of the same.
- Patients about to undergo a dialysis or a surgery need to inform the doctor of their condition.
Cozaar interacts with many drugs such as Diuretics, Potassium-sparing diuretics, Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, rifampin, Lithium, and many more.
Hence you need to have a detailed discussion with your doctor before embarking on a course of Cozaar.
Patients consuming Cozaar often complain of dizzy spells, black outs and other side effects. These worsen if consumed with alcohol or other medicines. Patients should avoid undertaking tasks which require concentration. Any sudden movement, especially in the morning hours may cause giddiness.
In rare cases, Cozaar may also lead to angioedema.
In case you notice any sudden swelling in the limbs or face, coupled with breathing issues then you need to discuss the same with the doctor.
At times patients also complain of allergies, breathlessness, swelling, erratic heartbeat, pain in the stomach, muscles or limbs, blurring of vision and other disorders.
Word of Warning
- Patients suffering from dehydration due to diarrhea or vomiting have a greater risk of low BP.
- Moreover, excess perspiration may also cause the blood pressure to drop. Nevertheless, always inform the doctor if you are taking a salt substitute or any medicine containing potassium.
- Patients planning to undergo dental treatment or surgery should inform the dentist if they are consuming Cozaar.
- Patients consuming high blood pressure medicines usually experience fatigue and feel drained out during the initial weeks following the treatment. However, never skip the medicine, as it may aggravate the issue or may lead to other issues.
- Patients suffering from high blood pressure should never use medicines or dietary supplements having stimulants.
- Consuming COzaar may cause fluctuation in the sugar levels of diabetic patients. Hence they need to monitor the blood sugar levels regularly, while on medication.
- Regular lab tests may need to be conducted during the course of medication, and these will ensure that there are no side effects and the medicine is working effectively.
- Cozaar may cause life threatening effects if consumed by young kids less than 6 years of age.
- Consuming Cozaar during pregnancy may lead to birth defects or at time miscarriage.
- Nursing females also need to stay away from Cozaar as it may cause harm to the child.