Brand Amoxil is an antibiotic which falls under the class of penicillin. It helps in treating infections in the middle ear, tonsils, throat, larynx, bronchi, lungs, urinary tract, and skin. Besides this, it is also helpful in curing gonorrhea. Commonly it is used to cure H. influenzae, N. gonorrhoea, E. coli, Pneumococci, Streptococci and Staphylococci. Although brand Amoxil does not destroy the bacteria, yet it prevents it from multiplying and forming a cell wall, without which the bacteria perishes.
Dosage and Directions
- A basic dose of Amoxil is around 250 mg every 8 hours.
- At times, depending on the severity of the infection, the doctor may even prescribe 500 mg.
- Doctors also prescribe 875 mg twice a day if the infection is acute.
- A 3g dosage is prescribed for adults suffering from Gonorrhea.
- Children who are more than 3 months old, and weight less than 40 kg, 25 mg/kg/day spread over equal portions half a day or 20 mg/kg/day spread in equal portions every 8 hours, or 45 mg/kg/day spread over equal portion twice a day. The dosage varies according to the acuteness of the infection.
Missed or Overdose
In case you miss a dose and realize it close to the time of your next dose, then you can resume your regular schedule. Never consume a double dose, or consume two doses within a short time gap, else it may trigger side effects. In case you notice any abnormal symptoms, then you should seek immediate medical assistance.
Brand Amoxil capsules and dry powder should be stored in less than 20 degrees C. the chewable tablets should be stored at less than powder 25 degrees C. It should be kept in a clean, dry place which is beyond the reach of kids or pets.
Word of Warning
- Patients should first check if they are allergic to any component of Brand Amoxil or any other penicillin before they start a course of this medicine.
- The doctor needs to be updated about the health condition of the patient, including the complete medical history, as well as the complete list of medicines and dietary supplements being taken before starting a course of Brand Amoxil.
- Patients having kidney, lung, liver or heart issues should discuss the same with the doctor.
- Patients suffering from PKU may need an altered dosage.
- Pregnant and lactating women should avoid this medicine.
At times patients complain of nausea, or loose motions. At other times, they complain of stains in the teeth, which is a temporary condition.
Other side effects include dark urine, acute pain in the stomach, yellowing of the eyes, bruising, acute intestinal issues, vaginal yeast infection, and so on. Never consume any narcotic pain medicines while on Brand Amoxil as it may cause fatal side effects.