Abilify is used as a supporting medicine to treat extreme depression, schizophrenia, manic, and mixed incidents related to bipolar disorder in kids and adults. It also helps to reduce the irritation related to autistic disorders in children.
Dosage and Directions
- Abilify should be consumed once a day with a glassful of water.
- It can be taken with or without food.
- The initial dosage is usually between 10 and 15 mg, which may be increased eventually.
Word of Warning
- Old people, who are suffering from dementia-related psychosis should not consume Abilify as it may prove to be fatal.
- Modifying the dosage at the initial stages of treatment may cause increased frequency of suicidal thoughts and tendencies in youngsters.
- Children suffering from depression should not consume Abilify.
- Abilify hampers the ability to judge, think, and apply motor skills accurately; hence, you need to stay away from tasks which require concentration and involve risk.
- Pregnant and nursing women need to discuss the side effects with the doctor before embarking on a course of this medicine.
- Abilify may increase the level of sugar in the blood; hence, diabetic patients need to use it cautiously.
- Never consume alcohol during the medication.
- Ensure that you remain hydrated while on this medication.
- Patients who are hypersensitive to any of the components of Abilify should abstain from consuming it.
Consuming Abilify may cause side effects in the form of nausea, vomiting, irritable a bowel movement, pain in the head, stomach and limbs, swelling, insomnia, nervous and dizzy spells, rashes, abnormal weight gain, fatigue, and other disorders. In rare instances, it also leaves the patients prone to strokes, and NMS Tardive Dyskinesia. Grapefruit and grapefruit juice should not be consumed while taking Abilify as it may cause fatal side effects. Hence it is important to keep a look out for any changes in the body while consuming Abilify. In case you notice anything amiss, then immediately inform the doctor and seek medical aid.
Like all medicines, Abilify also interacts with many medicines, hence it is important to discuss your complete medical history, including any medication or dietary supplement you are consuming before you start a course of Abilify. Some of the common drugs that interact with Abilify include blood pressure drugs, carbamazepine, fluoxetine, ketoconazole, paroxetine, quinidine, phenytoin rifampin, voriconazole, cimetidine, and other medicines.
If you happen to skip a dose of Abilify, then you can take it if the next dose is not due for the next 12 hours. However, if there is a time lapse, and you would have to take the next dose within 12 hours, then you need to skip the dose and continue with your regular schedule. Consuming an overdose may prove to be fatal.
Overdose of the medicine may cause acidosis, aggression, atrial fibrillation, bradycardia, coma, confusion, convulsion, reduced consciousness, fluctuating blood pressure levels, tiredness, fainting spells, pneumonia aspiration, tachycardia and a host of other disorders.
Abilify should be stored at room temperature in a container which is air-tight. It should be kept away from children and pets. Discard any unused medicine after the expiry date. Store the medicine in a clean place.
All the information provided is general in nature, and should not be used for self-medication or self-diagnosis. Follow the advice of your health care professional. All the information is true to the best of our knowledge, but we advise our customers to review and verify the same, before consuming the medication. Our website does not undertake the responsibility for any direct, indirect, special or other indirect damage caused due to the information provided or the effects of self-treatment.
15mg, 5mg, 10mg, 20mg
30 Pill, 60 Pill, 90 Pill, 120 Pill, 180 Pill, 270 Pill, 360 Pill